There are some things you just have to do whilst visiting another country. In my opinion, one of those things is climbing Mount Batur. Now, I must admit that I’m absolutely not a person who loves trekking, but when one of my friends asked me if I wanted to come and do this with her, of course I said yes! And honestly, even though I’m not a trekking kind of gal, this one was absolutely worth it! The sunrise is gorgeous.
So how did the sunrise trekking go?
Since we were located on the other side of the island, we got picked up at 01:00 am – crazy early. We then drove to the Mount Batur and started our trekking up the volcano. After walking for around 2 hours in total, at around 05:00 am, we reached the top – and oh yes that felt good. There, our guide made us breakfast which consisted of banana toast, eggs, fruits and a chocolate bar, and all we had to do was wait for the sunrise. At around 6:00 am the show started and it was absolutely gorgeous! Definitely worth the 2 hours walk. After the sunrise we explored the area and walked back down. At around 9:00 am we finished the trekking and went to hot springs, which was absolutely amazing after being sweaty for 8 hours.
Make sure to bring:
- A coat and scarf. It gets freaking cold and windy when you’re waiting up on the mountain for the sunrise.
- Water, lots of it! You will get thirsty. Be aware that there are no bathrooms on top of the mountain, expect for the bushes.
- Snacks. Even though you start walking midnight, it’s super nice to have a little snack during the walk.
- Swimwear. After the hike we went to some hot springs, which was amazing! You of course need some swimwear to wear there.
- Good shoes. Some paths were really slippery on my Nike trainers, so I would highly recommend bringing some shoes with good grip!
… and you’re good to go!
The Mount Batur Sunrise Trekking is definitely one I’ll never forget and totally worth it if you’re on the island! The views are gorgeous! We booked the tour through Bali Trekking Tour and I would highly recommend these guys!
What’s your favourite thing to do whilst abroad?